Money matters

Overview: Money matters

Information about how your pay from work is taxed, tax for self-employed people and dealing with debt.

How your income tax is calculated

Tax on income you earn from employment is deducted directly from your salary (pay). Find out how this tax is calculated.

Social insurance

Social insurance contributions entitle you to a range of benefits administered by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.

Universal Social Charge (USC)

The Universal Social Charge is a tax payable on gross income that came into effect on 1 January 2011.

Your P45 and P60 certificates

Your employer is responsible for paying your PRSI contributions and must give you a P60 or a P45 when you leave.

Tax and starting work - PAYE

Most employees have their tax deducted from their salary by their employer. Find out what you need to know about tax when starting work.

Taxation of social welfare payments

Social welfare payments may or may not be deemed taxable in Ireland. Information about which social welfare payments are taxable and how they are taxed.

Tax for self-employed people

A summary of how self-employed people are taxed.

Class S PRSI

Information on Class S PRSI contributions paid by self-employed people.

Overview of problem debt

Debts can easily get out of control. Steps you can take to manage debt problems.

Tax refund when unemployed or out of work sick

Explanation of how to get a tax refund if you have worked and are now unemployed or out of work due to illness.

Start Your Own Business Relief

The Start Your Own Business scheme gives relief from income tax for 2 years if you are a long-term unemployed person who starts a new business.