I have lost my job

I have just lost my job. What social welfare payments can I get?

If you lose your job, are laid off, or are made redundant you may be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit. To get Jobseeker's Benefit you must have worked and have enough social insurance (PRSI) contributions. To get Jobseeker's Allowance you must pass a means test. You must also be unemployed and looking for full-time work. You must register or sign on as unemployed at your Intreo centre or social welfare local office.

As an unemployed person you may be entitled to extra benefits, for example, Rent Supplement and a medical card.

What should I get from my employer when I leave work?

You should be given a P45 and any pay you are owed for work done together with a pay slip. You also may be entitled to holiday pay and notice. You can read more about this in our document on your entitlements when losing a job.

If you think your employer did not follow fair procedures or if you think there was not a genuine redundancy situation, you may bring a claim for unfair dismissal. If your employer cannot prove that your dismissal was fair, you may be entitled to compensation or reinstatement, depending on the circumstances. You can read more in our document on enforcing your employment rights.

Am I entitled to a redundancy payment and should I get written notice about this?

If you have been working for your employer for at least 2 years you may be entitled to a redundancy payment. You can read more in our documents on qualifying for redundancy and redundancy procedures.

I have been offered work for 2 days a week. Will I lose my jobseeker’s payment?

If you are working for 3 days or less each week it may be possible for you to work and get Jobseeker's Benefit. Similarly if you are getting Jobseeker’s Allowance, you can work for 3 days a week or less. Income from your work will be taken into account in the means test for Jobseeker's Allowance and will affect the amount of Jobseeker's Benefit you are paid.

If I don’t find another job, are there any supports to help me find work?

There are a range of employment support schemes and training courses available to unemployed people. These include internships such as JobBridge and employment schemes, for example, Community Employment.

Page updated: 24 July 2014